VIC Failed to appear in court 20 years ago

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Sahara Scott

16 June 2019
Hi, I recently made a friend who told me that he can’t go back to Victoria as he thinks he might have a warrant for his arrest.
In 1999 or thereabouts, he was arrested for stealing property from his housemates and selling them to a pawn shop.
He was supposed to go to court but as he was a drug addict at the time, he moved back to Qld to get help from his family.
Fast forward 20 years, he has been clean from drugs for ten years now but lives in fear of being arrested for not appearing in court.
He was caught drink driving in Qld around 7 years ago and lost his license.
Surely if there was a warrant for his arrest it would have shown up then?
He asked his lawyer to look into it for him, and she did, but she couldn’t find anything.
She said the only way he can truly find out is to go to the police station in Victoria where the original arresting police officer was stationed.
This is not an option.
Is there any way of looking online yourself?

Alert

7 June 2019
I am assuming this is something you will need to pay for. If the info was online you could search up anyone

Tony Danos

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
29 November 2016
Victoria
lawtap.com
The police would have it filed internally. I suggest getting a competent Victorian lawyer to enquire and arrange execution. Call me if need assistance.

Reactions: Alert

Sahara Scott

16 June 2019
The police would have it filed internally. I suggest getting a competent Victorian lawyer to enquire and arrange execution. Call me if need assistance.
Thank you Tony. I don’t understand why it wouldn’t have been noticed when he was pulled up by Qld police. Surely it would have alerted on the computer?