QLD Family report - unable to offer recommendations?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Thefactsonly

30 January 2017
Hi there,

Last month I read the family report on our situation and interestingly noted the writer's comments that he is unable to recommend a plan moving forward (in regards to 11yr old spending extended time with non-custodial parent). Background is this child has not wanted to attend visits for 18months. No real reason given other then child's apparent preference to 'side' with the custodial parent and having fear of non-custodial parent due to discipline/living condition matters. Other siblings (younger) still attending fortnightly fri-sun.

Report is quite focused on the parents inability to communicate and labels the relationship as toxic and not suitable for children (meaning: the children are anxious, changeovers are hostile, eldest has medical support with psychs).

My question is: how does a court work out recommendations if none are provided?

I agree the report favours the non-custodial parent however I did not think a report was supposed to align with one side.

I guess I was hoping for a better guiding report to deal with the situation.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
how does a court work out recommendations if none are provided?

Experience.

I did not think a report was supposed to align with one side.

The report is supposed to only consider the best interests of the children. The way to do this may be to assign more responsibility to the 'non-custodial' parent.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Does the report favour the non-resident parent, or more accurately, does it favour the best interests of the children?

Perhaps you could read the report and make your own recommendations by adjusting the orders you're seeking.

Hostile changeovers? Move them to the kids' school, a public place, or get third parties to do changeover.

Trouble communicating? Pick a better method - if text messages aren't working because they are instant gratification and makes parents prone to responding with emotion, then try a communication book.

Oldest having trouble with the other parent? Request family therapy. Get the other parent involved with the psychologist. Seek a child inclusive mediation conference. Have both parents attend a post-separation parenting course.

Nearly every problem can be solved in family disputation, provided the parents are willing to solve them.