Custody of Children - Any Chance a Father Can Get It?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Well, you'll be happy to know that a child's rights include the right to have a relationship with step-parents and half-siblings, and as I said earlier, the court is there to uphold rights.

My partner's ex-wife also told him to choose between me and their daughter, and the choice he made was both. They spent a year in court, he was self-represented with my guidance, and he won 50/50 care of his daughter, which is what he was seeking and a far cry more than the 20/80 care arrangement that she felt she had the right to "allow".

Kids need their dads, whether their mothers like it or not, and jealousy or insecurity is not a good enough reason in the court's view to uproot that relationship. Good luck next week, and please let us know how you go.

5stars

4 July 2014
My ex has finally responded to my affidavit. She lies and is claiming that she tried to get me to be a part of my daughter's life but I refused. She has told pure lies that we can prove false by third parties if need be.
She is also trying to say that my current partner is mentally unstable and has stalked our daughter by calling her school (reason why school was called was so we could get a copy of newsletter for judge) and my ex is saying that she wants to legally make sure my partner can't go near our daughter.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
That's fine, evidence isn't evidence until it's tested under cross examination. Even the most creative liar doesn't often hold up under heavy questioning, and they lose their composure fairly quickly when all the details come up short.

I can assure you that your judge will have seen it all before, so remain diligent and stay the course. She's not the first jealous ex to try and sell her story to the court and she won't be the last.

Rebecca-Anne

23 September 2015
Hello

I am new to this forum. I am interested to know how you went with your case, as I have a male friend going through separation and hoping your case may give him some hope?

Thanks

Reactions: lostgmar

lostgmar

5 May 2017
Hello

I was wondering if there is any up-date to your situation ? My son has something similar to your?

Thank you!

sammy01

27 September 2015
The original poster has not responded since 2015
lostgmar - might be better to start your own thread and seek advice based on your situation.

Patience

17 June 2017
Hi all,

I know this thread is quite old but interested to hear how things have progressed for those that have commented. I'm currently going through a very similar situation with the main difference being my son is only 1 year old and we only separated on April.

My ex partner is being very unreasonable and not allowing access for various reasons. Of course there is much more to it than that but long story short I'd like full custody of my son as I feel I can provide a happier and healthier environment for him plain and simple.

Dads are just as good parents for their children so I don't see why I can't have that opportunity.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Dads can and often are just as good, but full custody good? Mate, contrary to popular opinion, even mums rarely get full custody in this day and age.

Start a new thread.