WA Custody of Children and Child Support from Child's Father?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Hazelmax

28 December 2015
I have a 4-year-old son and his father has never wanted him since I was pregnant and he's never paid child support or seen his son. He also claimed he wasn't the father and we did a dna test and the results came 99.9%.

Earlier this year, I finally claimed child support but he has been complicating the whole process. He wouldn't sign the statutory declaration forms and now we have to go to family court.

My question is:

1. Will he get shared custody of children even though he's never been in the child's life?
2.How far along will the backdate the child support?

sammy01

27 September 2015
So child support is payable from the time of application. In some circumstances, it is from the time they accept the claim, but I reckon it will be from when you first made the application.

Is the father's name on the birth certificate?
What is this 'stat dec' that he won't sign?
If you provide CSA with the DNA test paperwork then they should accept that. If you're having problems with getting CSA to accept he is the father, I'd suggest you make an application to the Administrative Appeals Tribunal to have the thing looked at again.

Nope, he isn't gonna get shared care of the child. Not unless he really, really wanted it and even then since he has basically never shown any interest in the child, I reckon he'd be lucky to get much child access at all.

Hazelmax

28 December 2015
His name is not on the birth cert because he has always denied the child from pregnancy, so that's the reason he had to sign the 'stat dec', but he refused to do so and said he wanted to go to court because he thinks he can get away with it.