QLD Criminal Law - Offender After the Fact?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Dwayne Harry

13 November 2015
I'm sorry for the difficulties you've been experiencing. Unfortunately, my original position is unaltered and in fact somewhat strengthened.

You were bitten by a spider - You sought treatment at the hospital. The hospital was responsible for your care and ought to know better than to rely on the word of some one without conducting any further tests. You also say that the incident of the spider bite and medical treatment took place in June 2015 but your sister told them this in August 2015.

As mentioned above, this is a medical claim, not a criminal law issue.
Hi, Iamthelaw, thanks very much for your feedback.

Just to elaborate further; Yes, I was bitten in June, however wasn't admitted to Hospital until August. Neurotoxic Venom (Redback Spider) can take many weeks to have full effect on a persons nervous system. A person will deteriorate during this period, dependent on a number of variables (age, health, fitness, nutrition, etc.). Fortunately I was a very healthy and fit person "at the time" (not anymore unfirtunately), and therefor the venom took some time to take full effect.

You're probably wondering why I didn't seek medical advice much earlier? Fact is, I can't remember. The venom damages the synaptic nerve (which is for memory storage/recall) and therefor I have had to rely on my own research and deductive skills to piece together what happened. Photos and texts from my mobile phone clearly indicate I was bitten by "something" and describe my gradual decline. I have no idea why I didn't, or if I did, seek treatment earlier.

I used to suffer from bad acne on my back, sides etc. so may have thought that's what it was initially,,,not really sure due to the memory damage. Maybe I'm the "negligent" one.
As per the Discharge Report from the Hospital, I was exclaiming "Spider Bite" upon admission, which they ignored.

Person (a), my sister, flew up from Melbourne to Brisbane and advised the Medical Staff that I was consuming 4 bottles of wine per day, which they believed - I had alcohol in my system at time of admission and a lot of the symptoms of systemic envenomation are similar to Wernickes Encephalopathy (My Diagnosis) which is caused by alcohol abuse.

Putting all the Medical and Legal stuff aside, I'm just a Dad who has had absolutely no contact with my boy's (ages 12&13 now) for over 2 years and all I want is to hug them and be part of their lives again.

Iamthelaw

13 September 2016
As per the Discharge Report from the Hospital, I was exclaiming "Spider Bite" upon admission, which they ignored.
This is indicative of their negligence.
..advised the Medical Staff that I was consuming 4 bottles of wine per day, which they believed -
As above, this is also indicative of their negligence.

Putting all the Medical and Legal stuff aside, I'm just a Dad who has had absolutely no contact with my boy's (ages 12&13 now) for over 2 years and all I want is to hug them and be part of their lives again.
I'm sorry to hear. I would suggest seeking the assistance of a family lawyer, if you haven't already, for parenting orders.