QLD Criminal issue, can it be addressed in civil alternative dispute resolution?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Matthew Sargent

4 March 2018
I was involved in a very traumatic situation a year ago, and have been forced to take the brunt of it on myself.

If I fight back the person involved will be absolutely ruined, and I am reluctant to go through with it for various reasons.

Is there a way to approach this in an alternative dispute resolution where we can lock the issue away once and for all, and secure my own safety post trauma, with out being forced to go to court with a prosecutor?

I feel that approaching it via a prosecutor will only cause a million times more damage than has already happened, and thus I am stuck between seeking my own healing, and facing down reopening a situation that was FAR more damaging and dark than has been addressed currently.

Currently I am under a DVO, and have with held pressing charges due to concerns that no one wins in a court room, and the severity of the charges to be laid are quite extreme.

Am I wrong about this? It seems that the only course of action is to inform police officially and then it is 100% out of my hands as to what happens, and how long I will be dragged through the mess all over again?