VIC Conflicting speeds on infringement notice

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Notacrime99

16 January 2021
I was pulled over and told I was speeding.
I denied I was/did.
I was shown the indicated speed on the speed gun that said 63 km/h.
I am being charged $330 and 3 points.
The zone is apparently a 50 km/h zone.
It has gutter on one side for houses but not the other as it is acre(?) blocks/rural housing.
Anyway.
The infringement sent to me says I was 10km/h or more but less than 15km/h.
Below that
Detected speed 63km/h.
Alleged speed 61km/h. (I never said any speed).
PERMITTED speed 60km/h
What is the best way to proceed with this conflicting information?
Thanks

sammy01

27 September 2015
You've given conflicting info. Is it a 50km zone or a 60km zone.

Assuming you were in a 50 zone. Once you're going above 60km you fall in the more than 10 but less than 15km regardless of whether you were going 61 or 63km.
The best way to proceed? slowly. oops. Sorry too funny. Pay the fine.

sammy01

27 September 2015
"The zone is apparently a 50 km/h zone."
read the next bit slowly
"PERMITTED speed 60km/h"
Is it a 50km zone or a 60 km zone? It can't be both, hence you have given conflicting information.

Clearly it is a 50 zone because if it was a 60 zone you would not have been going more than 10km over the limit regardless of whether or not you were going 61 or 63km.

Repectfully (something you need to learn) you came here. You gave conflicting information and despite that I tried to give you good advice based on the infor YOU provided. Your response was to get abusive. The correct thing to do when someone takes time out of their day to help you is to say THANKS.

Why don't you give us the name of the road you got pinned on and the nearest cross road, the suburb would help too.. I will find out if it is a 50km zone OR a 60km zone, just to help you. No need to say thanks, except well you know, when someone help you that is kinda the right thing to do. If it is a 50km zone then you need to pay the fine because you were exceeding 50 km by more than 10km... IF it is a 60km zone then fill out the court application form on the back of the infringement notice .

As for your comments about me. I"m a big boy, bloody hard to offend me.. There is only one that I'm gonna respond to. "Stab your own kids". That is just plain wrong champ. The informaton I've given is correct based on the info provide. Despite your crass and extremely offensive language I've tried to continue to help you. However, once you bring my kids into this you have crossed a line. You owe me an apology.

Last edited:

sammy01

27 September 2015
oh I could not help myself... But you still owe me an apology.

Ask someone to read it to you as it has a few big words.
scroll down to the bit about "Default speed limits at a glance"
I've copied and pasted the relevant bit for you - Again no need to say thank you or to apologise for that comment about my kids. Karma has a way of sorting out knits like you.

So what you described above meets the description below.... Safe bet you were in a 50km zone and that is why you got fined.

"Rural and other metropolitan towns50 km/hA reduced speed limit of 50 km/h has been introduced in many rural and outer metropolitan areas to improve driver, passenger and pedestrian safety.
The 50 km/h speed limit in these areas applies at all times and is marked by clearly visible speed signs."
The website I gave you the link to also states that
"The default speed limit for Victoria’s roads in built-up areas is 50 km/h and applies on all roads in suburban areas where there are no speed limit signs displayed." Regardless. You now have been given a very detailed answer. I believe the correct response is "thankyou" Oh and "sorry for the comment about the kids. I'm gonna take myself outside and give myself a few uppercuts then have a long look in the mirror and contemplate what I can do to become a decent human being"

Kind Regards

Last edited:

457Visafraud

16 April 2017
Detected speed 63km/h.
Alleged speed 61km/h. (I never said any speed).
They gave you a "discount" on the max speed that they detected so they allege you were doing 61Km/h.
But you could fight that 1Km/h if you are ready to fight your case in the Magistrate.