Complaint on Naati Professional Translation Test - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Mehdi

27 May 2016
I sat the professional translation test on March 1st, 2016. In my contention, the test was easy and I passed it with no difficulty. However, after about 80 days, I received the released result which indicated my failure.

I consulted with some of the other candidates and my teacher which had me believe that since 2016, Naati assessors have been evaluating the test papers very strictly and subjectively and the statistics regarding the candidate who pass the test have, hence, considerably declined compared to the past years. I was also notified that due to currency difference, the fee for this test is significantly very expensive for Iranians who have to enrol in the test to acquire 5 extra marks for their immigration process.

I find the difference between my score and the limit for passing the test too far to have hopes in the result of reassessment while I still believe I translated the test adequately and I am sure I understood the text and also my translation conveys the concept in the given text. As an employee who has been working with English text for about a decade, I can assure you that I am capable of translating texts to and from English almost effortlessly.

In the end, please kindly suggest a solution for this dead-end I am stuck in.

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi,

There is no question that you articulate yourself very well. The NAATI complaints policy states that when a complaint relates to results of Accreditation Test or Assessment, candidates will be referred to NAATI’s process for requesting a review process. You should contact NAATI and ask for the process on how you go about requesting a review.