NSW Child Support / Birth Certificate

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Livingstone

21 January 2021
Hi there. Hoping for some guidance please. I am currently pregnant and the father will not be involved with the child in the future (the father is aware of the pregnancy and has chosen not to be involved). I am considering applying for child support, however I am hesitant to put the father's details on the birth certificate as I am concerned it will become difficult when it comes to things like passport applications, etc for the child in the future. Is it possible to provide alternative documentation for the child support application? For example, could I request he sign a stat dec confirming he is the father and that he has chosen to forego his rights and responsibilities? We were not living together or in a defacto relationship at the time, so I am unable to provide that as evidence. Thank you.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
You do understand that this is all about him evading Child Support, yes?
He doesn't get to do that.

Have a read of this.

Livingstone

21 January 2021
You do understand that this is all about him evading Child Support, yes?
He doesn't get to do that.

Have a read of this.
Thanks Tim. I have not discussed with him yet about whether or not he is on the birth certificate. It is more about my concern about difficulties in the future having to get him to sign things like passport applications, etc for the child. Thank you for providing the link.

sammy01

27 September 2015
Passport is the only really difficult one. But even that isn't insurmountable
I think there needs to be some conversations with dad about the realities here.

Child upport isn't negotiable. There are a whole lot of other benefits they could refuse you access to.
Plan B. One night stand. No idea who dad is. No dad on birth certificate. No child support no problems getting a passport.

Livingstone

21 January 2021
Passport is the only really difficult one. But even that isn't insurmountable
I think there needs to be some conversations with dad about the realities here.

Child upport isn't negotiable. There are a whole lot of other benefits they could refuse you access to.
Plan B. One night stand. No idea who dad is. No dad on birth certificate. No child support no problems getting a passport.
Thank you