VIC How to Change Father's Details on Child's Birth Certificate?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Denise Gili

5 December 2015
My daughter has the same surname of mine (G), but on her birth certificate there is her bio father details. We never had contact with him since she was born. I have no idea where he lives. All I know is that after 1 month of dating him, I got pregnant, and he made it clear that he does not want nothing to do with me or the child. Now after 3 years, me and my current partner would like to get married, and I want my current partner to be on her birth certificate so that we all have the same surname. How can I remove my child's bio father from her birth certificate?

JS79

2 October 2015
Perth
You cannot remove it without your ex's permission. You may be able to send a letter to births, deaths and marriages stating that you have not been able to contact him (make sure you have tried contacting him and have evidence) letting them know the situation.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
You can't remove the father from the birth certificate.

What you can do is look at changing the child's name or having the child's step-father adopt her. In either case, you will need to make a reasonable attempt to contact the father to organise family dispute resolution as you need either his consent or a court order to follow either of these paths.

Reactions: Britnne