WA Child Support Agency - Having Daughter Visit on School Holidays?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

overitdad9

2 May 2017
Thanks for the quick reply struggling dad.

Sammy in answer to your question I signed an agreement that she wrote up that i allowed her and the 2 kids to move away. So kinda screwed there.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Yes, but agreeing that she can relocate does not mean agreeing that you don't see the kids...

MartyK

4 June 2016
If I would you I would lie lie lie. Tell magistrate that you never agreed to the move and try and get her to have to relocate back...

Not your finest moment here sammy, encouraging parents to commit perjury. I thought the fight was against false claims/allegations?!

Aside from this I think sammy has otherwise given some very good suggestions.

@Strugglingdad - child support and parenting arrangements, while interlinked, are separate. Like sammy said, child support are not the ones to approach in relation to you increasing time with your child. Care arrangements need to be worked out either through private agreement/mediation, or failing this, via Court. Your offer to travel to collect the child et al would certainly go in your favour for an increase in time.

@overitdad9 - Perhaps you can think of some other ways that you might be able to see both children? Even if the time is not equal i.e. is lesser for the youngest given age. This does not necessarily need to be in line with the mothers demands.

Reactions: SamanthaJay

sammy01

27 September 2015
So did the agreement that you signed also say anything about the rules around when you see the kids?

Is there anyway you could move to where she is? I hate this, but in reality, moving closer to mum will make this easier. Even once you get court orders that say she has to contribute towards making sure she lets you see the kids.

You could still find yourself in a position where you go to the airport, only to find out the kids missed the plane. It will never ever be that she was running late and failed to get kids to the airport on time... It will be the 'kids' who missed the plane, because she will take no responsibility.... Eventually it just becomes a pain and there isn't really much a court can do unless you are prepared for a hell of a struggle

sammy01

27 September 2015
Marty - yup you're right.... Not great to have mum say I'll never stop you seeing your kids only to do exactly that... Sadly, I'll stick with the suggestion... Let's face it Superman doesn't really exist, nor does, truth justice and the American way...

MartyK

4 June 2016
Not great to have mum say I'll never stop you seeing your kids only to do exactly that...

A parent being obstructive, when an agreement is reached, is very different to perjuring yourself. Actively encouraging people to break the law, is not a sound recommendation.

Lennon

11 September 2014
I am going through this at the moment. My ex relocated across the country with our kids after we separated. I didn't object to her leaving (had some very poor legal advice at the time). We don't have any agreement or orders in place about visitation or the costs of travel.

At first I did all the travelling, but now the kids are old enough to fly unaccompanied they have flown to see me (and I have paid all their flights). We have had two directions hearing and at the latest one, the judge said he will list it for hearing at the next mention. My ex has only made a completely unreasonable offer (that I see the kids twice a year and I pay for all travel).

I want to see them every school holidays and share the cost of flights. I can't do worse than her offer at hearing, so think that we will end up going to hearing.

sammy01

27 September 2015
Wherever possible. Your best bet is to move to where the ex is. I know this is daunting. But if you're gonna wind up in court, might as well go for 50/50 and get something close to 50/50 as a final result.

Let's face it - half holidays is ok... But it won't take long before a nasty ex finds ways of not complying with the orders, then you're confronted with more court or just giving up. Don't sound nice

Strugglingdad

1 May 2017
Hi Sammy

Would love to move back, however the cost to move back is too much at this stage, so it would not have anywhere to live and my salary would be half of what I'm earning now. At least at the moment I am living rent and board free and saving money to move back.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
I want to see them every school holidays and share the cost of flights. I can't do worse than her offer at hearing, so think that we will end up going to hearing.

You'll probably at least get half of all school holidays. Ask for long weekends as well.