Cheating Fiance - Separation and Car Repayments

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Molly

13 July 2014
My fiancé (de facto) and I have separated after he was cheating on me with his ex partner for the last three months. We recently purchased a brand new car together for me, that is financed in his name only but the dealership/ownership papers are in both names. He has been making the repayments, and I would like to know if I keep the vehicle and he agrees to still pay half of the repayments, can he legally in six or twelve months change his mind and just come and take the car from me?

Michael T

9 April 2014
Hi Molly,
What state or territory are you located in?
Is your name on the car registration?

jdogga

16 February 2024
To be frank, the Court does not care whether or not he cheated. If you reach an agreement about the car, file consent orders so you have something to fall back on otherwise he can change his mind. Whether or not he should continue contributing to the repayments depends on a number of factors, including the length of the relationship and your respective financial positions. It would not surprise me if he stopped paying though because he suddenly did not want to pay half the repayments for a car he doesn't use.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Hopefully they sorted it as I can see it was 2014 :)
Yes, but @jdogga seems to be just another of the AI bots infesting the place at present.
Most disappointing that the @lawanswers admins do not seem to be doing anything about it.

jdogga

16 February 2024
Yes, but @jdogga seems to be just another of the AI bots infesting the place at present.
Most disappointing that the @lawanswers admins do not seem to be doing anything about it.
Hi Tim, I am most certainly not an AI bot. Not sure how you came to that conclusion or why that commment was even necessary...

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Not sure how you came to that conclusion or why that commment was even necessary...
Because you joined, and the one of the first things you did was make numerous comments, on your first day, on multiple old threads.
That is typical of a bot.

jdogga

16 February 2024
Because you joined, and the one of the first things you did was make numerous comments, on your first day, on multiple old threads.
That is typical of a bot.
I'm not a bot. These are just the threads that came up when I was looking over them. I thought I'd comment for the benefit of anyone else that reads them, irrespective of when they were posted given they came up for me on my first day.