- Australia's #1 Legal Community is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

VIC Chances of Getting Car Registration Fine Reviewed?

Discussion in 'Other/General Law Forum' started by Geoffrey Hassall, 26 July 2016.

Find a Lawyer Form
Find a Lawyer Form
Find a Lawyer Form
  1. Geoffrey Hassall

25 July 2016
    My car registration was due on Friday 22/07/16. I work til 1:30 on Friday in Ballarat where I live. I had to be in Fitzroy by 4pm for work. I had intended to pay online before I left home, but I forgot to do it.

At 11:30pm Saturday 23rd, I was pulled over by police. This immediately jogged my memory. The cop told me I could pay on the spot with my phone, which I immediately did. As I was writing down the receipt number, the cop came back and handed me an infringement notice for $777.00.

So as I was paying my registration he was writing out my fine.

What are my chances with a review?
  2. Tim W

Tim W Lawyer

28 April 2014
    but I don't like your chances.
    You had plenty of time to renew.
    23 hours, 23 days. makes no difference.
  3. Rod

Rod Well-Known Member

27 May 2014
    Only go to court if you have a good history of paying. This proves you are a 'good citizen' and potentially worthy of a second chance. May not work, but without trying you're stuck with a fine that will only get larger if you do not pay.

You may catch a magistrate having a good day and get off. :) I did for a parking fine. Court elected on principle. And wanted to test court procedure. Treated the 2 half days in court as a learning experience.