VIC Chances of Getting Car Registration Fine Reviewed?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
25 July 2016
My car registration was due on Friday 22/07/16. I work til 1:30 on Friday in Ballarat where I live. I had to be in Fitzroy by 4pm for work. I had intended to pay online before I left home, but I forgot to do it.

At 11:30pm Saturday 23rd, I was pulled over by police. This immediately jogged my memory. The cop told me I could pay on the spot with my phone, which I immediately did. As I was writing down the receipt number, the cop came back and handed me an infringement notice for $777.00.

So as I was paying my registration he was writing out my fine.

What are my chances with a review?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Court elect the fine and see how you go,
but I don't like your chances.
You had plenty of time to renew.
23 hours, 23 days. makes no difference.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Only go to court if you have a good history of paying. This proves you are a 'good citizen' and potentially worthy of a second chance. May not work, but without trying you're stuck with a fine that will only get larger if you do not pay.

You may catch a magistrate having a good day and get off. :) I did for a parking fine. Court elected on principle. And wanted to test court procedure. Treated the 2 half days in court as a learning experience.