QLD I'm trying to register an unregistered car in solely my name, previously it was registered under me and my ex. My ex is not cooperative.

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

eery1

14 January 2023
Hi all,

I've seen a few similar questions but have never got a complete answer to my question.

Essentially;

I have a car that has not been registered for over a year. (I was [stupidly] unaware, and have stopped driving the car + started paying the fines associated with it).

It was previously registered in mine and my ex's names.

My ex is unwilling to cooperate with me, and in fact I am now non-contact with her because of the abuse cycles they have put me through. I believe my ex cares little about the car (as they now have a new car), but is more concerned with trying to get revenge on me (I have never wronged her, she is mentally unstable and is impossible to reason with.) For the duration of our relationship, I was the primary earner while she basically stole/hid money from me, that is one of the reasons why I believe that the car should rightfully be mine.

I want to re-register my car, however I am unsure if this is possible without her signing off on it. I do not want to spend all the money it takes before registration (ie: Roadworthy Check), only to find out it's not possible. My other avenue, if its not possible would be to sell the car unregistered however I'm again not sure of the legality of it as it was previously registered to both of us.

Is anyone able to provide me with some help on this matter?