Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

NSW Centrelink - Eligible for Rent Assistance?

Discussion in 'Other/General Law Forum' started by jack obrien, 5 August 2015.

  1. jack obrien

    jack obrien Member

    5 August 2015
    Likes Received:
    Wondering if there was anything fishy with me being on Centrelink since I was 16 and am now 21. I have been a student and job seeker living at home receiving allowances while my mother did work. I always paid board 150 a fortnight but never qualified for rent assistance although it chewed 3/4 of my allowances which I find is not hardly enough but now that my mother is on Centrelink and currently jobless, I pay 220 a fortnight.

    Would I qualify for back payments from Centrelink to the date she was unemployed or would I qualify for this now?
  2. Sophea

    Sophea Guest

    This is something you would have to contact Centrelink about. I think if you can show that you are "independent" by virtue of your employment or your age, then you can get rent assistance. The back pay thing is also something you would need to discuss with Centrelink.

Share This Page