Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

NSW Centrelink Claims I Owe Money - Can I Fight This?

Discussion in 'Debt and Bankruptcy Law Forum' started by Beejay, 5 December 2014.

  1. Beejay

    Beejay Member

    5 December 2014
    Likes Received:
    I moved out of home back in 2012 when I was 17 due to complications at home and I was receiving the study allowance from centrelink and at that time my parents were separated. So in march this year they reunited. They informed Centrelink and filled out the appropriate forms all while I was still living away from home.

    My payment from Centrelink is based on my dad's wages and my mother does not work. Centrelink stopped my payments back in November this year due to the fact that my parents reconciled and his wages are the same whether he lives with my mother or not. I'm now informed from Centrelink that they have over paid me since my parents reconciled and that I now owe them over $9000 all the while I was still not living with them and at the moment I am currently situated in perth while my parents live in NSW as I cannot live under the same roof as my dad, to which I have informed Centrelink, but according to them they say my parents have to financially support me until I'm 21, I am 19 years now.

    I don't have a job as I was studying full time until centrelink stopped my payments. My dad will not support me to study full time he berates me to get a job constantly to which I have given my resume out to a lot of companies with no reply from them. Thats my story, what I want to know is at this moment I don't have a job nor receive any payments from Centrelink nor receiving any money from my family I have no assets but my grandparents did buy me a car back in April this year which is in my name. I have told centrelink that I have no money to pay them back when Its not even my fault that they still paid me and they have given me until the 31st of december this year to get a job so I can start paying back there mistake. I need debt help, not penalties.

    Do I have any rights to fight it and what will happen if I still don't have a job by the cut off, How will I be able to pay back anything with no money?
    Very confused and upset.
  2. Sarah J

    Sarah J Well-Known Member

    16 July 2014
    Likes Received:
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...

Share This Page