VIC Caught by Police for Attempted Theft - Student Visa Canceled?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Amy McPherson

26 June 2015
I am just wondering if I will have my student visa cancelled? As I attempted to steal (theft) a street sign in Melbourne's CBD as a decoration for my bedroom, the police caught me as I was fleeing from the scene after I decided it was too risky and not worth stealing. They caught me with a tool kit and thought I was attempting to rob cars/ the building site on the street.

I have to appear in court in a few months and I am just wondering if my student visa will be cancelled? I am undertaking my masters in Melbourne. I am from Canada and holding a student visa.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Have you received your court summons? If yes, check the actual offence you have been charged with.

Next step is check the conditions on your student visa. See what the Visa conditions say about offences and Visa cancellation.

Looks like you're learning a valuable life lesson, just not one you expected in Australia :)

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Cancellation of your visa is not a penalty that the court can impose.

That said, if you are convicted of something, then that can lead to
your visa being cancelled by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection.
This would/could be because you may no longer meet the visa condition that you be of good character.
It depends on what the charge is, what the (theoretical maximum) penalty is,
and the conditions of your visa.

And no, you won't be able to conceal it from the Department.

Perhaps see if your University has a Student Legal Service, and if they do, then speak to them.