QLD Car Park Accident - Who is at Fault?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Eve Tangey

27 August 2018
A man was reversing out of a car park in a shopping centre. He hit my car and dented every panel on the passenger side, $4000 of damage. He said he saw me but says it was my fault. Who is in the wrong? He is refusing to pay any damages. I was not insured but he is.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
You don’t mention what you were doing, or the specifics of your relative positions and movements. That aside, if he saw you and didn’t stop then he should be wearing at least some of the responsibility.

Eve Tangey

27 August 2018
You don’t mention what you were doing, or the specifics of your relative positions and movements. That aside, if he saw you and didn’t stop then he should be wearing at least some of the responsibility.
I was driving through the car park area, I saw his reverse lights come on but at that time if I had stopped I would have had to reverse to let him out of his car park

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
If he hadn't start coming out (and arguably wasn't more than half way out) then he's probably going to be in the wrong.