NSW Car Park Accident - Am I Liable?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Niccom

19 May 2017
The other day I was in a car park of a daycare facility. All cars have been asked by the daycare to reverse into the car park for safety purposes (no signs to say this just an email from director). I did this. The car next to me was parked on my passenger side and was front rear parked.

I collected my daughter and went to put her in the car. I opened my front passenger door to put her bag in and she climbed in and got in her car seat. I proceeded to open the back door (front door now closed) and started to put her in, with the door resting on my bottom.

I heard an engine start up. Didn't know it was next to me, but not denying I heard an engine. The driver proceeded to reverse out and collect my back door. He stopped, got out and asked if I had any damage - I didn't. I collected his side panel indicator light which was destroyed and saw a big dent (scratch) on his car. I gave him the light and he walked off and continued to drive off.

The next day his wife saw me and told me her husband was flustered and didn't get any information. I gave her my details but she didn't give me hers. She then said he told her I knew he was there as I moved out of the way and moved to the back of the car. I told her that that wasn't true and I didn't move. I had my 8 year old daughter in the car and she could verify this as I was asking her to move her seat over so I could get other daughter in car.

Once she said this I knew he was going to blame me for the accident so I called my insurance and they said it was equal liability. The wife text me saying her insurance is saying it is my fault and I need to pay. She also asked for my rego which I provided her with. I replied saying I too had made a claim and could I get her details to which she has still not replied.

Do you agree it is equal liability? I had no idea that having an open door was a law breaking rule!!! I do now! But my insurance are saying he didn't reverse into car park and also didn't check his surroundings before he left. Plus he left scene without giving his details and now they aren't giving me their details when asked.

Do you think I will have a leg to stand on?

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi,

It sounds like its clearly equal liability as far as repairs are concerned. If you want to get more technical about it, you were stationary. If he had of waited there wouldn't have been an issue. Basically he hit you. When you take your daughter back to day care you should wear a neck brace. That was a joke, please don't wear a neck brace.

Firstly you don't know what they told their insurance or what their insurance actually said, if they even contacted them. Let the insurances battle it. I think you will be fine.

Reactions: Niccom

Niccom

19 May 2017
Haha thanks

I just can't believe he told his wife that I knew he was there! It made me so cranky!

They have made a claim and their insurance have said it's my fault but it would be if I did move out of the way and leave my door open, but I didn't!!

Infuriating!

Lance

31 October 2015
It will be a case of he said she said. Equal liability in the end. Is his wife scary? He was probably too scared to tell her the truth, or she decided on a more colourful explanation. Stay tough. Send a copy of the directors email to your insurance so they know he was parked the wrong way.