NSW Carpark Accident at Marrickville Shopping Centre

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
19 June 2018
Minor accident at Marrickville Mall Shopping Centre carpark

About 0900 hrs on 06 June 2018, I had just entered my vehicle, after shopping at Marrickville Mall Sydney.

I looked towards my left but was not able to see anything as the vehicle on my left was obscuring my vision.

I commenced to slowly reverse until I could see behind the vehicle on my left and at that time I saw a small black vehicle approximately 15 metres to my left.

As it was a distance away I continued to slowly reverse and took my eyes off for a short time to assess the clearance of my off side front corner to the vehicle on my right.

I had already commenced to swing to my left when I heard a small thud and saw in my rear vision mirror a black vehicle later identified as a black Toyota Corolla. Driver information was noted from his driver’s licence.

I drove forward back into the car space and exited my vehicle to see what had occurred.

It appeared to me that the other driver had attempted to drive past the rear of my vehicle as I was reversing and we collided.

We exchanged details and while we were doing that I was approached by a shopper who stated that he had seen the accident and that the black Corolla had made no attempt to stop to allow me to exit the car space and had continued to drive behind my reversing car even though he was far enough away to be able to stop as I was already half way out of the car space and had begun to turn out of the parking space.

Details of the witness have been provided to NRMA Insurance via a phone conversation with NRMA Insurance regarding the accident on 06 June 2018. The witness gave me his permission to be contacted in relation to this accident.

The other driver stated to me and in the presence of my witness that he had not seen me even though I was well out of the car space, had already begun my turn and at that angle my reversing lights would have been clearly visible. I believe that the other driver's inattentiveness and impatience to get past my vehicle had directly caused the accident.

The only damage to my vehicle was a small scratch, barely visible, on the off side corner of my rear bumper bar, indicating that I was already well out of the parking space and had already begun my turn when the collision occurred. There appeared to be a large dent/crease on the passenger side front door of the Corolla. Seems a very large “dent” for such a minor very low speed collision.
The details of the other vehicle and driver's licence details deleted for this post.

Who is at fault??

George Kormendy

Adam1user

5 January 2018
Hi,
Best thing to do is contact your insurance and ask them, there are other factors which you may have not included here that will explain what happened, such as was the sun in the eyes of the other party?
there could be some technical issues which is not know to many here, also, did you take pictures after the accident?
hope this helps,

Good luck.