SA Car Not Registered and With Multiple Issues - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Cheryl Q

24 February 2017
My son purchased a second hand car privately. When he went to register it in his name, they found there was no "engine plate" (I think that's what it's called) & they said it can't be registered until it's gone through an inspection.

He rang the guy back & he claimed it didn't need to have one in Queensland. My son has since found there are multiple things wrong with the car which he will have to fix before it's inspected. He's out of work at the moment & has no extra money to do so, so he's in a bad situation. He purchased it a couple of weeks ago.

Does he have a right to get his money back under Australian Consumer Law?

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi Cheryl,

If the vehicle is newer than 1 Jan 1989 it should have a Vehicle Identification Number. if its older it may not have one. Unfortunately the only Australian Consumer Laws applied to a private seller are that the vehicle has clear title, undisturbed possession and undisclosed securities. Further detail of that can be found here: Lemon Car? What You Can Do Under Australian Consumer Law - Legal Blog - LawAnswers.com.au

But the seller is also bound by common law contract requirements. So they can be liable for misrepresentation. The link above might give you some helpful information.

Reactions: Cheryl Q