QLD Car Insurer threatening reversal of acceptance of Claim - Single Vehicle accident

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

jwilson18

20 February 2019
Hey All,
Had an accident last September - single vehicle, lost control in the wet. Made claim with Suncorp and they discussed an amount which was agreed upon. They suddenly decided that it needed to be investigated by their Fraud department and are potentially not going to accept the claim. They also still haven't allowed me to access my car to get my personal effects from it and refuse to tell me where it's being held. They've asked for every document (including a month of all bank records) and all phone records, as well as signed consent for QLD Police, Ambulance and Health. Because I'm a younger driver and it was a single vehicle accident at night that they have to 'investigate it' but I can't understand how they can go back on their agreed upon value. The forensic police report have not listed or charged me with anything. The Insurance company's forensic investigators have recently assessed my car (no roof and probably been sitting in the weather for over 6 months) and are still yet to assess the accident scene - as stated it's been over six whole months. They've done everything they can to hold things up. I have no car, no money to get a new car and the old car I borrowed form my mum just broke down. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Raise a formal dispute with the insurance company and ask them for the process if the dispute is not resolved.

Insist on going down the formal dispute path if they do not pay the owed money within 14 days.

Also read this: Insurance complaints | AFCA

Reactions: jwilson18