Car Accident - Car Insurance Claim Prolonged

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Lilly

3 July 2014
My car was involved in a car accident. It rolled into the water when we were parked on a boat ramp whilst fishing. Of course this has led to suspicion by the car insurance company who sent out their investigation team. This occurred over 10 wks ago.

Since, we have had to jump through hoops to collect all information for them including proof of ownership, service history (which was in the car), car registration papers, bank statements, phone records. It's becoming very frustrating! Meanwhile ..no car. Are they allowed to drag this out for so long? Also they are still collecting their monthly payments.

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
Hi Lilly,
Your unfortunate accident reminds me of the Allianz TV commercial!
  1. Insurance companies can request information to support and verify your claim.
  2. However, if you believe that you have complied with all requests, you may be able to complain using the insurer's internal dispute resolution service or an insurance industry ombudsman. Who is your insurer?

Reactions: CathL

Lilly

3 July 2014
Thanks John. It wasn't humorous at the time but yes.. I can see now it was something out of a bad commercial ! My insurance company is AAMI. But if I don't get a response today , I will certainly start seeking other avenues of advise and help as yourself and others have suggested.