NSW Car Insurance Company Requesting Further Details after Payout

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Sorcha

1 September 2014
Hi there,
I was involved in a car accident in March where I pulled to the side of the road and did a U/turn and then turned it into a right turn down an adjacent street. There was no on coming traffic or cars behind me but when I was mid-turn a car that had passed me going in the opposite direction suddenly reversed up the road and totalled my car.

The particular street I attempted to turn down was a no right turn street BUT she backed into me at speed.

She was also on her red P plates and was no displaying any plates on her car and had a passenger. She admitted liability at the scene.

My car insurance company paid out promptly, I told them all the info over the phone but now they're requesting more information. I'm worried that they might change their mind about who is liable?

Advice please!

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
Hi @Sorcha,
  1. It is a common process for car insurers to regularly audit/review a selection of claims for a given period.
  2. On this basis, if you have been consistent and truthful in retelling the events surrounding the accident, assume that your claim file has been selected for audit/review and unless you believe their request/s are unreasonable, comply with their request for further information.
Hope this helps. Please keep us updated with your progress.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
I agree with @John R above.
You do have a duty of compete good faith to your insurer,
and on that basis, you should answer their questions.

It might also be that both cars are with the same insurer
(this happens often).
So, while they appear to have paid your claim,
given the facts of what happened,
maybe they are not so sure about the other.

In the alternative, consider also, the possibility
that it might not be about you at all.
It's possible that the other driver's/ car's insurer may be refusing to pay
the other driver's (or other owner's) claim.
So, your insurer may be seeking information from you
at the request of the other insurer (if there is one).