Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

QLD Car Insurance Company 'Lost' All Documents - Must I Resubmit?

Discussion in 'Insurance Law Forum' started by Tmelt, 22 May 2015.

1. Tmelt

Tmelt Member

I had a car insurance claim that was eventually deemed by my insurance company that the third party in the car accident was at fault. I was told by my insurance company that my involvement in the matter had been settled and finalised.

Now, 7 months later, I receive a phone call from my insurance company asking for all documentation/paperwork and evidence in relation to the car accident that occurred more than 8 months ago now, to be resubmitted because the third party (that was not insured at the time of accident), their insurance company is not accepting fault in the matter. When I questioned the need for the resubmission, the consultant informed me that it was because "they lost it". When I asked how they could have lost it all, the reply was "we are only human".

My question is: where do I stand legally in this matter if the claim had been finalised by my insurance company, and what liability should the insurance company have over the "lost" paperwork/evidence submitted, when they had already deemed the other party "at fault" based on all the original documentation?

I still have all original documents and evidence and letter of confirmation of decision by my insurance company.

2. Sophea

Sophea Well-Known Member

There is no real legal issue here. Its simply a matter of inconvenience. Is it really that much trouble to send them what they want?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...