VIC Car Accident - Challenge Car Insurance Excess?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Lukey2015

2 March 2015
Hi. I was involved in a car accident yesterday. I was driving my girlfriend's car. She has full comprehensive car insurance. The police were waved down at the scene. The constable told me it was the other driver's fault but my girlfriend's car insurance company said it was mine and we had to pay the excess. Is there any point in trying to take this any further? I thought the insurance company would back me up more. Especially when the constable told me to call if I had any problems regarding insurance.

Ivy

10 February 2015
Hi there,

Given that you've said that the constable told you to call if you had any problems with insurance, have you called him/her? I'm not sure that an insurance company can make a call as to driver fault. Their aim is usually to simply recover money in the fastest and easiest way possible. I would be calling the constable and asking for their assistance. I'm assuming that when the company listed you as at fault, you've not only had to pay excess, but that it will affect your driver history which can have a bearing on later insurance premiums.

Ivy

10 February 2015
Hi again,

Correction: I have just discovered that insurance companies can and do determine liability. I still suggest that you call the constable and ask them to dispute the insurance company's conclusion due to the reasons I provided.