Contractor Car Accident - Who's Responsible for Car Insurance Excess?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

clive

16 June 2014
Hi. Who is responsible for the car insurance excess when a contractor has a car accident (which was his fault) in the sole proprietor's motor vehicle, driving home after leaving a job?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Why was a contractor driving somebody else's vehicle?

clive

16 June 2014
Sometimes we take one car together to a job and share the driving, I was also I the car at the time

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
Hi Clive,
Do you have a contractor agreement (or similar) with the contractor that sets out who is responsible for expenses incurred at work, etc.?
If not, it may be a case of coming to an informal agreement with the contractor (e.g. contractor pays or 50/50). Safe travels!

Reactions: CathL

CathL

19 April 2014
Australia
Agree with John R,
If the insurance policy is in your name, and there's no agreement with the contractor about the contractor being liable for insurance/insurance excess, then my understanding is that you're still on the hook for paying your insurance excess when you make an insurance claim.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
I agree with CathL.

And, while we are about it, no, you cannot with-hold any part of the contractor's fee as a way of recovering the money.