Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Contractor Car Accident - Who's Responsible for Car Insurance Excess?

Discussion in 'Insurance Law Forum' started by clive, 16 June 2014.

1. clive

clive Member

Hi. Who is responsible for the car insurance excess when a contractor has a car accident (which was his fault) in the sole proprietor's motor vehicle, driving home after leaving a job?

2. Tim W

Tim W Lawyer
    LawTap Verified Lawyer

Why was a contractor driving somebody else's vehicle?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. clive

clive Member

Sometimes we take one car together to a job and share the driving, I was also I the car at the time

4. John R

John R Well-Known Member

Hi Clive,
    Do you have a contractor agreement (or similar) with the contractor that sets out who is responsible for expenses incurred at work, etc.?
    If not, it may be a case of coming to an informal agreement with the contractor (e.g. contractor pays or 50/50). Safe travels!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    CathL likes this.
  5. CathL

CathL Well-Known Member

Agree with John R,
    If the insurance policy is in your name, and there's no agreement with the contractor about the contractor being liable for insurance/insurance excess, then my understanding is that you're still on the hook for paying your insurance excess when you make an insurance claim.

6. Tim W

Tim W Lawyer
    LawTap Verified Lawyer

I agree with CathL.

And, while we are about it, no, you cannot with-hold any part of the contractor's fee as a way of recovering the money.