can total cost of the penalty units of a fine be rounded up?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

htaurney

9 February 2024
hi

i got a speeding infringement today and i was just reviewing the fine and it says $385 fine for speeding 15km over the speed limit which carries 2 penalty units but the actual penalty unit is $192.31 so my total fine shouldn't be $385 even but $384.62 i am not by any means expecting such a error to get the fine quashed but is it enough of a error to goto court and get the judge to correct the penalty by .38c i figure any time or money i can cost the police or prosecution is a good bit i fun and revenge on my end.

so to sum up are the police allowed to just round up a fine despite the set cost of penalty units or can i dispute the difference in court for lols

thank a bunch <3

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
...a good bit i fun and revenge on my end.
and
...can i dispute the difference in court for lols
If the court thinks you're being a smart ar5e and wasting its time,
(and if you mean to do as you say, then they may well be right...),
then instead of a fine, you can expect a conviction,
perhaps even with a costs awarded against you.
That's assuming that the Magistrate doesn't actually give you
five days for contempt on top of it.
--> How's that for lols?

Grow up. Pay the fine and go get on with your life.

htaurney

9 February 2024
and
If the court thinks you're being a smart ar5e and wasting its time,
(and if you mean to do as you say, then they may well be right...),
then instead of a fine, you can expect a conviction,
perhaps even with a costs awarded against you.
That's assuming that the Magistrate doesn't actually give you
five days for contempt on top of it.
--> How's that for lols?

Grow up. Pay the fine and go get on with your life.
arrr yes a quality answer you defiantly addressed the question as to if police can round up penalty units.
just because i find it enjoyable to present a case in court (as i put it for fun and revenge) doesn't change any underlying legal issue of possible incorrect penalty units and if police have a legal right to round up and over charge the public. a simple 38c extra on me is nothing but 38c on everyone they fine is alot of money overall to just take from people if its not lawful to do so.

i really think you just wanted to sound all big ,scary and tell someone to grow up when really you offered nothing at all of any value to my thread but trying to make judges sound like bad people when there really not, i have self represented and won several cases on small technicalities and never once has a judge even hinted at acting in the way your describing quite the opposite the judge usually compliments me or at the very least is happy to hear something a little different once in a while over the average daily pleadings. its total fear mongering cases are literally won and lost on the smallest technicalities and your advice is so defeatist.

but do explain how if i have valid right to challenge something in court that i could be found in contempt or punished harder for exercising that right ? just because i personally enjoyed it or did it for revenge is irrelevant to anyone and wouldn't even come up at a hearing. if what you said was the case then every lawyer who enjoys their job or took a case well below there pay grade for fun or revenge would being doing time for contempt.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
...but do explain how if i have valid right to challenge something in court that i could be found in contempt or punished harder for exercising that right ?
The bit that the court might have a problem with is your motivation.
For most people, a court appearance - even in the traffic list - can be life changing - for good or for bad.
But you, a self-stated dangerous driver? You're about fun, revenge and LOLs.
You're abusing the right.