QLD Traffic Law - Should I Contest Speeding Fine?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

dcc236

30 November 2016
I recently received a speeding camera fine for doing 69km/h on a 60 km/h section of the ICB in Brisbane. The photo clearly shows two cars almost side by side, mine and another traveling in the opposite direction.

I know I was not speeding, I had seen the van in that location earlier in the morning. So I had the GPS up and was carefully watching my speed as I passed the speed camera van.

I wrote to the police and pointed out that there were two cars in the photo and I was not speeding. They essentially advised the device was accurate, was essentially a recording of fact and if it said I was doing 69, I was doing 69.

Can I, should I contest this under traffic law? What are my chances or would I be wasting my time and opening myself up to further costs?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Can I, should I contest this? What are my chances or would I be wasting my time and opening myself up to further costs.

Only you can answer if you should contest it. Can't estimate chances, will depend on Magistrate on the day. Could have more costs, but not much more, but also Magistrate can waive the fine. Roll the dice if you are willing to spend 2 or 3 days in court waiting to have your case heard.

Ozwarlock67

16 April 2015
I'd contest it. A half-decent magistrate would dismiss it. It's standard practice for the police to say their equipment is 100% accurate. The other car has most likely got a ticket as well.