QLD Can the crown prosecutor give the victim advice on accepting lessor charges?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Fm15

17 October 2016
Can the crown prosecutor give advice on whether or not they feel a plea of guilt to lessor charges should be accepted?

After speaking with the crown prosectuter, I was advised that the defendant would enter a plea of guilt if the charges were reduced from more serious charges (8 in total) to just a) common assault and b) willful damage.

I don't personally accept this however, I am worried that for some reason in front of a jury the worst case scenorio is the defendant is found not guilty. How do I know what is the best thing to do? Who should I get advice from?

Iamthelaw

13 September 2016
I don't really understand your question.

It is for the Crown to bring about a charge and in turn negotiate down a charge if they so choose to; not the victim.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
And no jury needed for a guilty plea.

Fm15

17 October 2016
It seems I must be the one confused.

Being the victim, am I not able to accept the defendants plea to avoid trial?

The crown prosecutor asked for my view on the defendant asking for a downgrade in charges, to plead guilty to avoid trial. Is it not my decision to accept or refuse- is it only the crown prosecutor to decide?

Was he just seeking my view?

Fm15

17 October 2016
It is currently set for trial, with the defendant now seeking to plead guilty to avoid trial but to lessor charges.

Iamthelaw

13 September 2016
Being the victim, am I not able to accept the defendants plea to avoid trial?
No, it is the decision of the Crown.
The crown prosecutor asked for my view on the defendant asking for a downgrade in charges, to plead guilty to avoid trial. Is it not my decision to accept or refuse- is it only the crown prosecutor to decide?
As above.
Was he just seeking my view?
Probably, yes.

Perhaps things are run slightly differently in Queensland but I would assume they are just seeing what you think - Maybe if you were vehemently opposed to it, they could take it on board in their ultimate decision.[/QUOTE]

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Possibly something to do with the 'victim impact statement' aspect of things? I've got no idea, but that occurred to me.