Can I Dispose of Other People's Belongings under Property Law?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

JulieJo

7 July 2014
I helped a friend who had become homeless. She and her family stayed with me for 18 months, she got a department of housing house not to far from me in July last year. I had my son help move most of her belongings that she left behind at Christmas time just past. My problem is Department of housing have told me to remove the 2 sheds and a motor bike that belongs to this lady but I don't drive and she says she has no money to hire a trailer or car to pick it up and I've tried for 12months to get her to pick it up she says she wants these things yet no effort is made to get them.

What can I do under Property Law? Department of housing say I'm responsible for the stuff and get rid of it as I'm breaking my lease .

Paul Cott

LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
26 May 2014
Ballarat, Victoria
Juliejo,

They may well be abandoned goods. What I would do is put in writing and say for example 'I hereby provide you a further 30 days to collect such goods, failure to do which I will have full ownership of said goods and may sell them and collect and keep the proceeds, including using such monies for the cost of removal from my property'. I hope that assists.

Paul.

Reactions: JulieJo and John R

JulieJo

7 July 2014
Juliejo,

They may well be abandoned goods. What I would do is put in writing and say for example 'I hereby provide you a further 30 days to collect such goods, failure to do which I will have full ownership of said goods and may sell them and collect and keep the proceeds, including using such monies for the cost of removal from my property'. I hope that assists.

Paul.
would it have to be 30 days I am out of time with department of housing the 9/7 is the deadline

Paul Cott

LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
26 May 2014
Ballarat, Victoria
Depending on the state you are in, generally it is 30 days. But if you can document attempts to have the stuff removed, that may help in the event of her claiming you have dealt with the goods in an improper way, by showing that they have been abandoned before now.

Paul.