VIC Department of Housing (Human Services) Nosey Neighbour - What to do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
13 April 2015
I have been living for thirty years in a Department of Housing (Human Services) house. From the moment l moved in my neighbour has been an absolute horror. She complains to the Dept. if my grass on the front is getting too long. She has complained to the local council about items left on my nature strip for pick up. She actually takes photos of my property as l have seen her doing it. The fence on her side has been replaced and she is complaining to me that l have a messy side way and that has caused her to pay for a new fence, and she has called the Dept to state that. She looks over my back fence and has taken photos. I am feeling bullied and it is stressing me out so much. She just doesn't stop. I have asked to leave me alone but she says she is not doing anything wrong. l said she had no right to be taking photos of my property and she says she has the right to do so. and that she has a right to complain about how l keep my yards. What can l do? l am starting to feel sick every time l see her. I have a severe back injury and can only rely in another neighbours help for the lawn mowing or have to pay for it. I am not a whinger, just worn out by one. I have tried to talk to her but she is just so ignorant l end up getting angry and walking away.

S

Sophea

Hi Jennifer,

Sounds like a nightmare. What your neighbour is doing may constitute a civil wrong known as "private nuisance". If you are able to establish this, you can seek court orders preventing her from engaging in the nuisance causing activities.

In order to prove "private nuisance" to the court, it is enough to show that you have been affected by an act or omission of another person and the effect is that your enjoyment and use of your land has been interfered with.
You can read more about it here: Nuisance

Apart from this, there is no legal right to "privacy" that prevents someone from taking photos of private property as long as they are standing on public property or their own property.