QLD Can I Be Pursued in Australia for Old NZ Debt?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

kimmy

17 June 2015
I am in Australia on permanent residency, and I was born in NZ. Approx 10 years ago, I lived back there and got a credit card. I paid the balance each month until I decided to move back to Australia. Unfortunately I did not get work for a while and the debt obviously went to debt collection (approx $3000).

I have heard that Detectives went looking for me at my family members home in NZ. They were looking for me in relation to bank fraud. I rang the local police in NZ but they didn't have any information. I'm not sure what to do from here. I have no contact details of these people. It was so long ago. I regret not sorting it out sooner. These people said if I try to get Australian citizenship, I'd be deported back to NZ, and if I returned I'd be arrested. I need to go back for a visit, but am worried. I've lived most of my life in Australia and I am concerned about the repercussions of my stupidity. Please help. Thanks.

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria

Pete Evans

17 June 2015
" I'm not sure what to do from here. "

Kimmy ,hows about contacting your original credit card firm and offering to repay your debt ?
Surely a little honesty will go along way to rectifying the situation ?
I think I'd start by using a P.O box for reply mail or a hidden internet acct with a yahoo style email address .

I'm not qualified to offer a view but if more folks were honest to start with wouldn't the world be a better place .
cheers PE

kimmy

17 June 2015
Thanks Pete and Sarah for taking the time to reply. Pete, you are correct and other than this, I have always been an honest person. I feel terrible about it and I plan to rectify it and make things right. Cheers