Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, Want peace of mind with personalised legal advice today? Visit LawTap to find the right Australian lawyer and book online instantly.

QLD Can I Be Pursued in Australia for Old NZ Debt?

Discussion in 'Debt and Bankruptcy Law Forum' started by kimmy, 17 June 2015.

1. kimmy

kimmy Member

I am in Australia on permanent residency, and I was born in NZ. Approx 10 years ago, I lived back there and got a credit card. I paid the balance each month until I decided to move back to Australia. Unfortunately I did not get work for a while and the debt obviously went to debt collection (approx $3000).

I have heard that Detectives went looking for me at my family members home in NZ. They were looking for me in relation to bank fraud. I rang the local police in NZ but they didn't have any information. I'm not sure what to do from here. I have no contact details of these people. It was so long ago. I regret not sorting it out sooner. These people said if I try to get Australian citizenship, I'd be deported back to NZ, and if I returned I'd be arrested. I need to go back for a visit, but am worried. I've lived most of my life in Australia and I am concerned about the repercussions of my stupidity. Please help. Thanks.

2. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Pete Evans

Pete Evans Well-Known Member

" I'm not sure what to do from here. "

Kimmy ,hows about contacting your original credit card firm and offering to repay your debt ?
    Surely a little honesty will go along way to rectifying the situation ?
    I think I'd start by using a P.O box for reply mail or a hidden internet acct with a yahoo style email address .

I'm not qualified to offer a view but if more folks were honest to start with wouldn't the world be a better place .
    cheers PE

4. kimmy

kimmy Member

Thanks Pete and Sarah for taking the time to reply. Pete, you are correct and other than this, I have always been an honest person. I feel terrible about it and I plan to rectify it and make things right. Cheers

Sarah J and Pete Evans like this.