QLD Can I Attend Magistrates Court Via Phone for Theft Charge?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

anne1988

24 August 2015
I'm due in court in 3 days. It is local magistrates court and the matter was adjourned previously to seek legal advice. It's in relation to 'theft with intentions to keep' rental household items. However I have returned the item and intend to pay all necessary costs. My problem lays at the fact that I've just moved. I am 50 kms away from that local court and without a car and public transport will not allow me to arrive by 9am. Can I appear over the phone?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
No. Does Qld have a 'diversion program' you can use for first time offenders?

JS79

2 October 2015
Perth
The Magistrate's Court requires you to appear in person or they are able to record a conviction/spent conviction against you.

It would be best to make the effort to go to the Magistrate's Court and let the Magistrate know what you have done since being charged - eg given you have returned the item and you are willing to pay the necessary costs.

Lawyering mum

26 September 2015
Sunshine Coast
If you are going to be late just let the Court know. Chances are there will be quite a number people that they can deal with ahead of you. If you call the Court and advise the earliest you can get there, a note will be made on your file and generally there are not too many problems. Call the court prior to the day you are due in Court though and I would follow up with another call the morning of just to confirm you are on your way and when you estimate you will be there