LawAnswers.com.au - Australia's #1 Legal Community

LawAnswers.com.au is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

QLD Can I Attend Magistrates Court Via Phone for Theft Charge?

Discussion in 'Criminal Law Forum' started by anne1988, 7 October 2015.

1. anne1988

anne1988 Well-Known Member

I'm due in court in 3 days. It is local magistrates court and the matter was adjourned previously to seek legal advice. It's in relation to ' theft with intentions to keep' rental household items. However I have returned the item and intend to pay all necessary costs. My problem lays at the fact that I've just moved. I am 50 kms away from that local court and without a car and public transport will not allow me to arrive by 9am. Can I appear over the phone?

2. Rod

Rod Well-Known Member

No. Does Qld have a 'diversion program' you can use for first time offenders?

3. JS79

JS79 Well-Known Member

The Magistrate's Court requires you to appear in person or they are able to record a conviction/spent conviction against you.

It would be best to make the effort to go to the Magistrate's Court and let the Magistrate know what you have done since being charged - eg given you have returned the item and you are willing to pay the necessary costs.

4. Lawyering mum

Lawyering mum Well-Known Member

If you are going to be late just let the Court know. Chances are there will be quite a number people that they can deal with ahead of you. If you call the Court and advise the earliest you can get there, a note will be made on your file and generally there are not too many problems. Call the court prior to the day you are due in Court though and I would follow up with another call the morning of just to confirm you are on your way and when you estimate you will be there