Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

QLD Can I Attend Magistrates Court Via Phone for Theft Charge?

Discussion in 'Criminal Law Forum' started by anne1988, 7 October 2015.

1. anne1988

anne1988 Well-Known Member

I'm due in court in 3 days. It is local magistrates court and the matter was adjourned previously to seek legal advice. It's in relation to 'theft with intentions to keep' rental household items. However I have returned the item and intend to pay all necessary costs. My problem lays at the fact that I've just moved. I am 50 kms away from that local court and without a car and public transport will not allow me to arrive by 9am. Can I appear over the phone?

2. Rod

Rod Well-Known Member

No. Does Qld have a 'diversion program' you can use for first time offenders?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. JS79

JS79 Well-Known Member

The Magistrate's Court requires you to appear in person or they are able to record a conviction/spent conviction against you.

It would be best to make the effort to go to the Magistrate's Court and let the Magistrate know what you have done since being charged - eg given you have returned the item and you are willing to pay the necessary costs.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Lawyering mum

Lawyering mum Well-Known Member

If you are going to be late just let the Court know. Chances are there will be quite a number people that they can deal with ahead of you. If you call the Court and advise the earliest you can get there, a note will be made on your file and generally there are not too many problems. Call the court prior to the day you are due in Court though and I would follow up with another call the morning of just to confirm you are on your way and when you estimate you will be there