NSW Can I access court transcript?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Philly2020

27 April 2018
I recently became aware that a person I employ was due to attend court for a criminal matter. This person has not informed me of this, but I have been notified by a mutual friend. Apparently the matter has been adjourned however I am wondering if it is possible for me to access court transcripts? The charges that this person is facing if found guilty is likely to affect my business. Does anyone know how I am able to access information regarding this using the FOI act?

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Have a look here: Court transcripts

Be prepared for:
(a) Refusal, as the release to a non-party is discretionary; and
(b) If successful, possible significant cost. Court transcripts are outsourced to professional service companies, and they charge commercial rates for their time.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
I recently became aware that a person I employ was due to attend court for a criminal matter. This person has not informed me of this, but I have been notified by a mutual friend.
Although there are a few exceptions (such as public servants),
your employee has no general duty to disclose to you.
Apparently the matter has been adjourned however I am wondering if it is possible for me to access court transcripts?
What reason do you have, apart from mere curiousity?
The charges that this person is facing if found guilty is likely to affect my business.
How so?
Also, you are assuming that your mutual friend understands what's going on, and has reported it to you accurately.
Does anyone know how I am able to access information regarding this using the FOI act?
Not under FOI, no.
As @Rob Legat - SBPL said above, you can apply for a transcript.
There will be a hefty fee payable, and you'll need good grounds.
From what you've said so far, I don't see where you have any.