NSW Can Ex Lodge Claim for Child Support Agency (CSA) Backpay?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

kbp

21 October 2015
I used to have 50 50 (week on, week off) custody of children for my daughter until 3 years ago when she was diagnosed with diabetes. She wanted more time with her mum and I agreed as it was what my daughter wanted.

My ex notified Centrelink about this but not Child Support Agency. I figured she didn't make the change so as to prove to me she wasn't doing it for money. But apparently she never read her Child Support Agency statements and didn't know that it wasn't changed from 50 50 to the new arrangement (3 or 4 nights per fortnight).

Now she's saying she can lodge a claim and make me back pay the difference. Is this true?

sammy01

27 September 2015
call CSA 131 272. You don't have to give your name, but ask them. Generally I've found them ok..... IMO the answer is no. BTW Centrelink is linked up to CSA so when she notified centrelink that info is meant to get transferred to CSA

My understanding is that CSA don't do back pay. A change of assessment happens from the time of notification. But call them and let us know how you go.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Claims can only be made from the date they are notified of the change in care arrangements. She can appeal the decision of CSA within 28 days of it being made, but it's a long road and it's not a case of you falling into arrears from not paying the assessed amount, so I doubt it would be successful.

kbp

21 October 2015
Thank you very much for your replies. Much appreciated. It was a bit of a worry for me as I have just been put off my job and not in the same financial position as before.