Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

NSW Can Ex-Husband Apply for New Marriage and Divorce?

Discussion in 'Family Law Forum' started by zena, 1 July 2016.

  1. zena

    zena Active Member

    1 June 2015
    Likes Received:

    My husband and I have got a divorce overseas in our home country, but we still haven't submitted the divorce papers to the Australian government. We are Australian citizens. My husband has remarried now in our home country. Will he be able to apply for immigration for his new wife along with my divorce document at the same time?
  2. Sophea

    Sophea Guest

    Hi Zena, you can apply for a divorce overseas. Australia will recognise a divorce if it was effected in accordance with the laws of that country, however I don't believe you have to apply for any Australian divorce document. If you need to prove your divorce you simply show them the divorce papers you have from your home country.

Share This Page