Can a police officer come to your house to speak to you if law is NOT broken?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

aliabdoli

21 November 2021
A while back I talked to a woman who lives in the building next to my building and I told her "Often I see you in your cute nursery uniform but I don't get to chat to you".
Four weeks later two police officers turned up at my house and said to me that the woman felt scared and complained to the police !!

Honestly, this is bizarre that someone may complain to the police about their neighbour based on that comment I made, I wanted to know if the police have the right to come to my house and tell me what I said scared someone! I don't think any law is broken here so I don't understand the involvement of the police.

If this is unlawful what I can I do about it?

thank you

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Yes, they do.

aliabdoli

21 November 2021
Thanks for the response. But on which basis?
It seems that we have to constantly watch what we say in any conversation because someone might be paranoid

Atticus

6 February 2019
"Often I see you in your cute nursery uniform but I don't get to chat to you".
Even with no context, I can see how that kind of comment has the potential to play on a woman's mind, particularly if they live alone... No wrong doing by the police here. Good job for following up the complaint IMO.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au

sammy01

27 September 2015
She complained. They have an obligation to investigate. If they didn't and you made more comments or said or did anything else that caused this woman concern then this woman would have grounds to make a complaint to the cops about them not taking her concerns seriously...

You might not think it a big deal - but other's might see it differently and clearly the lady in this case did see it differently.