VIC Builder Owes Money - Already been to VCAT and Magistrate

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

DMQC

29 June 2016
Not sure if I missed a post however has the builder been issued a Summons for Oral Examination?

DMQC

29 June 2016
I think SOE (Summons for Oral Examination) is the starting point before Garnishee order.

Could very well be, good point. A starting point to take it further I suppose.

KarmaWinsinEnd

6 April 2016
Could very well be, good point. A starting point to take it further I suppose.

Agreed. Also, It dependents on the debtor size, in some cases you could go directly to warrant to seize property. e.g. If your builder is rich and have display homes and big display stuff, etc.

I suppose type of builder will pay if the VCAT order is made won't risk up to court (genuine dispute, rather than try to rip you off).

DMQC

29 June 2016
Agreed. Also, It dependents on the debtor size, in some cases you could go directly to warrant to seize property. e.g. If your builder is rich and have display homes and big display stuff, etc.

I suppose type of builder will pay if the VCAT order is made won't risk up to court (genuine dispute, rather than try to rip you off).

Go to your local Rugby club with a carton of beer and a minibus - should fix it quite quickly. (joking of course).

I believe the OP has tried the property route however was unsuccessful. I think the Govt need to fix this properly before it becomes commonplace.

louismar

24 November 2017
unfortunately my experience with vcat has been very similar

i rented a room at the start of 2017. i soon found it was infested with bedbugs. i asked the landlord to get an exterminator, she refused

6 months later and 5 vcat visits and hours of paperwork and i was awarded $1,070 compensation from vcat (which i have yet to receive)

the cost of an exterminator is about $1,200 - $1,600. so it was just cheaper for the landlord to do the wrong thing and go to court

in addition, she didn't lodge my bond money with RTBA and kept it. this is illegal, and i reported it to consumer affairs/justice department. the vcat member said to her "in future, lodge bond money with RTBA" - but she received no penalty

so yeah, i can corroborate other peoples' experience here - the legal system for civil disputes is very weak

my recommendation to the guy who's had a dispute with the builder is pay a web developer to setup a 'name and shame' website (costs maybe $500). this will cost them money in lost business plus warn other people so they don't suffer like you have (it's *a lot* of stress doing legal stuff)

i've done it before to a business that withdraw money out of my bank account without my permission. i better not put the link here because the mods will think i'm doing SEO. the business wasn't fazed by the vcat case i lodged against them, but they certainly didn't like the expose website about what they were doing

Dancing with Wolves

17 October 2018
I have the same story. I lost over $15,000. Unregistered builder who we have labeled him as the 'Missing Linc'.

After contacting the Victorian Builder's Association, they assigned a private investigator who in turn recommended the 'Missing Linc' builder be prosecuted with about 5 offences. He's looking at being in some very hot water. Financially, that does not assist me but hopefully it stops him from doing it to someone else.

I would like to commence legal proceedings against the 'Missing Linc'; do any of you have some comments on how to do this and what recommendations you would make?

Gary Jackson

25 February 2020
Hi Karma,

Sadly, even though we won our VCAT hearing and sent the sheriff out twice with a warrant to seize property, we have not recouped the funds. The next step was to file an order to bankrupt the builder, the overall cost of doing that is around $5,000.

Since we are owed $7,900. we deemed it pointless and a stressful exercise when we wouldn't see all of the funds back (we wouldn't get the money back for filing the bankruptcy order).

The system doesn't work in favour of the little guy! We had to let it go. Sadly.

Best of luck with your scenario.

Hi Helena Jane,
i am in EXACTLY the same situation as yourself now and the amount we paid was in late 2017. wondering if it's the same person? the guy who owes us lives at Hillside in Vic. not the same guy is it?? (and thanks for bringing the whole subject up - this forum has been excellent for obtaining feedback and viewpoints.)

Helena Jane

7 March 2015
Hi Gary, I’m sorry to hear that. We have never recouped our funds and just had to swallow it as there was nothing else we could do.
I won’t give the persons full name on here but his first name starts with a D and he was in the western suburbs (we were in Seddon) so he might still be in that area.
Best of luck !

Gary Jackson

25 February 2020
Hi Gary, I’m sorry to hear that. We have never recouped our funds and just had to swallow it as there was nothing else we could do.
I won’t give the persons full name on here but his first name starts with a D and he was in the western suburbs (we were in Seddon) so he might still be in that area.
Best of luck !
Thank you Helena - great that you can respond so quickly! i refuse to be over-ridden so we are going down the Armageddon path. if i have to bankrupt this guy i am going to do it. His personal initials are RD and his trading name for his company was DGS. so obviously not the same guy. (But any others out there see that this matches their creditor, please communicate with me!). I have looked through the blog and determined we are getting a Summons to attend for Oral Examination (SOE) first. i realise that he could just lie and say that he has absolutely nothing but i am going to personally attend and note what is presented in the Magistrate's office. he has since set up a company and moved his business to that but his home may be in his personal name but even if it is and the Court may refuse to force him to pay the $3,600 or so out of a mortgage on the house, i will then apply for instalments. this will be mentioned at the SOE and i am hoping it can be discussed with the magistrate as to what is a reasonable repayment (with the 10% interest added of course!). my understanding is that if he then doesn't pay the agreed instalments, he then can be arrested (but i need to check that out).. any other thoughts out there would be appreciated. thanks for kicking this off Helena. i am really sorry you were abused like this - i see it as personal abuse and these guys should be jailed!