VIC Bridging Visa B Exceptions and Work Rights?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
15 December 2018
Dear Sir/ Madam,

I work in Iraq but live in Australia with my partner, while I hold 12 months tourist/ visitor visa. We are about to lodge an application for Partner visa subclass 820/801. I understand I will get a bridging visa A as soon as I submit my papers. I am also aware that if I need to travel before a decision is made I can apply for Bridging visa B. My understanding is that BVB is issued for a single exit/entry within a specified period. I work on a rotational schedule 28 days at work and 28 days off, this means that I need to leave Australia and come back at least 6 times per year.

So my questions are:

1) It is possible to get an exception and have multiple exit permission under BVB, as I need to be able to leave Australia regularly for work?

2) Is there a limitation to a number of BVB(s) that can be issued to an individual while waiting on a substantial visa (Partner visa)

3) Will I have work rights while holding a bridging visa and waiting for a decision on my application for a partner visa to be made? I would prefer to know before I take a risk of not being able to travel for work and as a result of losing my job.

Thank you in advance for your answer.

Tim W

LawTap Verified
28 April 2014
I suggest that your case is complex beyond the scope of what we can do here.
I suggest seeking the advice of a lawyer who is also a Registered Migration Agent.