Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Atticus

6 February 2019
So, an AVO can be obtained and enforced, on someone else’s behalf when they live in another country?
In this case yes, because it was taken out by a police officer. They have the power under the relevant act (actually they MUST unless they provide good reason NOT to)

It's the committing of the offense that has involved the police, & subsequently resulted in the issue of the APVO . In this case it doesn't matter where the PINOP lives

Robbert

10 July 2020
In this case yes, because it was taken out by a police officer. They have the power under the relevant act (actually they MUST unless they provide good reason NOT to)

It's the committing of the offense that has involved the police, & subsequently resulted in the issue of the APVO . In this case it doesn't matter where the PINOP lives

Robbert

10 July 2020
The Crimes Act requires the PINOP to make a complaint (unless there is a child involved), and following on from that to provide the primary evidence. In this instance the PINOP has made no complaint, provided no evidence, will not be available for Court by any means, and resides permanently overseas. The purpose of an AVO is to protect because someone has a fear, it's a shield. If a fear isn't verified by Police, then the AVO is surely being used as a sword, which is contrary to the intent of AVO legislation. No?

Atticus

6 February 2019
The Crimes Act requires the PINOP to make a complaint (unless there is a child involved), and following on from that to provide the primary evidence.
No not in every instance .....

Robert, I have given the most accurate response I can to your initial question... It is very difficult to give a very specific answer to a very vague question.. I have attempted to read between the lines here, asked you to confirm or correct & all I was told was that I am 'essentially' correct, so I tell you what.... If you want a specific answer you are going to have to give some very specific details. Now if you don't want to do that on a public forum, I understand. In that case, based on the info you have given, the response I have given is the best I can do.

If you want to tell us exactly what has happened, you are much more likley to get a more specific answer.... That will also mean telling us the EXCACT nature of the relationship between the respondent & PINOP, becuase that is also crucial & as yet still unknown