SA Austudy Payments Cut Back - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Davejohn

11 May 2017
Hi

I live in South Australia and a while back I started an online diploma with evocca college. I was receiving austudy and hit severe financial hardship. I lost my internet and was unable to study. I kept receiving austudy payments with every intention of resuming my course as soon as I was able to, but that time never came and now my austudy has been cut back.

I am currently living in my car and have now had my payment reduced to partial payment of $180 a fortnight. What can I do and what have I gotten myself into?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Iamthelaw

13 September 2016
You didn't advise Centrelink in a change to your circumstances therefore they reduced your payment (which you must do). Given the premise of Aus Study is an allowance for while you're studying you're lucky that they didn't terminate your payment completely given you're not actually studying.

In any event, you need to speak to Centrelink rather than anyone on here. All the best.

Reactions: Davejohn