NSW Money received whilst getting centrelink payments

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Steve500

10 March 2015
Asking for a friend

I have a friend who is getting centreline payment "Newstart". He is unemployed, but has some medical expenses that he has to cover. His newstart can't pay that, and the public health system is long waiting list. He's thinking of doing a crowdsourcing campaign to raise the funds.. Can he do this without losing his regular benefits, the medical expenses will be about $15,000 dollars as it's some major medical stuff he is join through. So I was curious, can you receive centrelink payments, but receive gifts e.g. like a car(e.g. standard one like a toyota camry)/money for medical problems/or money to purchase goods to improve your quality of life e.g. microwave/computer/new suit to help look better when getting a job. Are you allowed extra money from friends or family to get better quality food, or are all these things mentioned classified as "income"? I just look at my friend and think he must be going through tough times, and he isn't sure if he will get his benefits from centrelink cut. It would seem unfair if he did, but then again I'm not up to date with social-security laws/rules and what is not allowed as an exemption or classified as income. Of course the rules may all vary according to what payment your on e.g. Austudy/Newstart/Age care pension/DSP-disability pension etc..

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Any regular payments can affect Centrelink entitlements. As you say, it depends on the kind of payment.
So can receiving lump sums. There's some useful info about that here.

As to crowdfunding - Even if the Terms and Conditions of the particular site/ provider permitted
the activity he contemplates, he would still be looking at paying them a hefty commission,
and probably personal income tax, on the amount raised.
And he would certainly have to declare it to Centrelink, who will decide
if it's remunerative, non-remunerative, or exempt income.