NSW Australian Law on Selling Liquor

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Tarnz71

9 December 2015
My 19-year-old and her friend go to a liquor store. Her 20-year-old friend goes in the store while my daughter waits outside as she has no ID on her as they just finished gym. The cashier tells her friend she will not sell her liquor unless my daughter comes in the store and produces an ID. My daughter goes in and says she has no ID on her, that is why she is outside the store. They refuse to sell the item, so my daughter says she will be back in 10 mins with the ID as we only live across the road. She does all this and then they sell the item to her friend.

I want to know are they allowed to do this under Australian Law? What if she was a minor and they are calling her to come into a place where they sell alcohol?

Ponala

10 February 2015
Yes as they can't sell alcohol to someone if they believe that person is buying it for someone underage.

She is allowed in to a bottle shop whether minor or not, especially if with someone over 18, but obviously a minor can't buy. Think kids and parents.

Reactions: Sophea