VIC Teachers May Think I Cheated on Exams - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Ebbbie

22 June 2016
Hi there.

I had an exam today, semester final. I was well prepared but I had 4 (one-line) equations written on my hand. When the exam started, after 10 minutes, the invigilator came up to my seat with the attendance sheet. After I signed on my student id, she asked me to show her my both hands. I followed the direction and showed her my hand and she saw those equations. She took a photo of my hand and the id card and said if my result is not announced, I might need to talk to the concerned authority.

I never cheated nor used any of those equations on my paper. I spoke to my teacher over the phone after my exam and he asked me to wait until what is decided later when the results are announced.

This is my second last semester of MBA. I have never cheated before and passed my all previous exams on time and with good grades. I do not want to fail in it.

I just want to know, what should I do under Australian Law?

Thanks.

Victoria S

9 April 2014
Hi Ebbbie, just to clarify...were the equations relevant to the exam that you were sitting? Was the exam closed book? And was it before you started the exam that the teacher raised the issue of the equations on your hand with you?

Ebbbie

22 June 2016
Hi Ebbbie, just to clarify...were the equations relevant to the exam that you were sitting? Was the exam closed book? And was it before you started the exam that the teacher raised the issue of the equations on your hand with you?
Hi,

Yes, relevant and it was a closed book exam. And she asked me to show her my hands before the start of my exam.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Stuff written on your hands, in a closed book exam?

If this was at a tertiary institution, then I'd be asking you to show cause
why you should not face the academic misconduct process.

Ebbbie

22 June 2016
Stuff written on your hands, in a closed book exam?

If this was at a tertiary institution, then I'd be asking you to show cause
why you should not face the academic misconduct process.

I understand that it does go against me if I had anything written on my hand that is related to the closed book exam and this is why I am here, to know if there is anything I can do about that.