WA Australian Consumer Law - Do Retail Outlets Have to Display Price?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

JLD

22 August 2016
Under Australian Consumer Law, do retail outlets have to display the price an item scans at the till?

S

Sophea

If something scans at the wrong price, you do not have a "right" to receive that item at the lower price. The seller has the right to offer the product to you at the correct price if it is different to that which is scanned which you can accept or reject. However some stores have their own policies regarding what they will do in this situation. For example some supermarkets have their own policy that you will receive an item at the lower price where there is a discrepancy.

Australian Consumer Law Rights – Incorrect Pricing - Legal Blog - LawAnswers.com.au

JLD

22 August 2016
If something scans at the wrong price, you do not have a "right" to receive that item at the lower price. The seller has the right to offer the product to you at the correct price if it is different to that which is scanned which you can accept or reject. However some stores have their own policies regarding what they will do in this situation. For example some supermarkets have their own policy that you will receive an item at the lower price where there is a discrepancy.

Australian Consumer Law Rights – Incorrect Pricing - Legal Blog - LawAnswers.com.au
Thanks Sophea, I understand that. We had a broken screen on one of our tills that shows the customer the price each items scans at. They were very angry and said we were trading illegally, because he could not see the scanned price. Our receipts are itemised. Is this correct?

S

Sophea

If he can see his receipt or tell him what the item cost at the till, then I don't know what he is worried about. I have heard nothing about stores being required to show customers the prices of items as they are scanned. They can ask if they want to know.

JLD

22 August 2016
If he can see his receipt or tell him what the item cost at the till, then I don't know what he is worried about. I have heard nothing about stores being required to show customers the prices of items as they are scanned. They can ask if they want to know.
Thanks