Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

VIC ATO - Property Investment Transfer to Wife's Name?

Discussion in 'Property Law Forum' started by Shawn, 29 February 2016.

  1. Shawn

    Shawn Member

    29 February 2016
    Likes Received:
    My wife has a much lower income than me. We have a property investment where the title is in both our names. Is it a permissible procedure with the ATO to transfer the property title to my wife only (in Victoria there is no stamp duty for this transfer), in order to reduce the percentage of tax payable on the rental income of this property?

    I should mention the property has no mortgage. Aside from standard outgoings, the rent received is income.
  2. Michael T

    Michael T Well-Known Member

    9 April 2014
    Likes Received:
    From what you've written, it seems that its a matter for you to discuss personally with your accountant, or a lawyer who can assist with structuring your assets.
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...

Share This Page