NSW Am I in de facto relationship?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Ashkan2020

28 June 2020
Hi all,

I’ve brought my girlfriend from Russia On a tourist visa in November to see how our relationship will go and whether we should take next step to marry. So we’ve been living at my place since then, though just to evaluate the relationship and it was also mentioned in my invitation letter to the Department of Immigration that I will accomodate her at my place and that we don’t want to rush into a serious relationship like marriage and that’s why I want to bring her as a tourist.

After 7 months things got awkward to the point that even police was engaged, and she claimed in AVO application that since February we didn’t see future in our relationship. Though it was not my opinion.

Now, I wonder whether it can be considered as a de facto relationship? The police AVO mentions “intimate relationship “ though.

Thanks for your help.

Atticus

6 February 2019
very basically.... if you were living together on a genuine domestic basis, ie, as an intimate couple, then yes you were in a de facto relationship ... 7 mths is not long enough to involve family law though unless the relationship produced children.

Reactions: Ashkan2020

Terry Yun

7 July 2020
Hi all,

I’ve brought my girlfriend from Russia On a tourist visa in November to see how our relationship will go and whether we should take next step to marry. So we’ve been living at my place since then, though just to evaluate the relationship and it was also mentioned in my invitation letter to the Department of Immigration that I will accomodate her at my place and that we don’t want to rush into a serious relationship like marriage and that’s why I want to bring her as a tourist.

After 7 months things got awkward to the point that even police was engaged, and she claimed in AVO application that since February we didn’t see future in our relationship. Though it was not my opinion.

Now, I wonder whether it can be considered as a de facto relationship? The police AVO mentions “intimate relationship “ though.

Thanks for your help.
Hi

In terms of immigration visa application, de facto relationship requires at least one year co-habitation with proof like joint bills, tenancy agreement and etc.
Less than one year, it is hardly to say that is a de facto relationship.

Thanks