NSW Am I Covered by the PayPal Buyer Protection?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

David Chang

31 August 2016
I contacted a seller on eBay, wanting to settle the deal outside eBay for all the valid reasons (fees). The good thing about it is that he wanted the payment to be done via PayPal.

The eBay ads is already ended.

I've asked him to send me a PayPal invoice, which he did and they all looks genuine to me. If I decided to pay this invoice, by law, am I covered by PayPal Buyer Protection, in the event the item does not get delivered or perhaps scam or not as per described?

The only conversation that I have with him is only via email, so I am not sure if that is a strong proof?

This has not happened but wanting to get an idea whether I should proceed.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Quite possibly. Much depends though on PayPal and whether or not they have any escape clauses to rely on to avoid giving you protection. Not possible to answer this kind of query online.

If you are not happy buying privately because of the risks, buy retail and be fully covered by the Australian Consumer Laws.

Homer jay

14 September 2016
If they don't just go through your bank and do a chargeback on your credit card.